Skip to main content

Life takes precedence.

I wanted to write a lovely post this week about the blanket I've almost finished, the blanket I'm working on, and the color themed owls that will soon be given away.  But I honestly don't feel that I can do that.  Too much has taken place, and it weighs on me.  While this is a crafty blog, sometimes life events take over.  I feel the need to post about this particular incident that happened less than 48 hours ago.

I write this post with a very, very heavy heart.  Yet a thankful one.  Two days ago, a horrific tornado tore through the community just south of where my family's house is, taking lives and causing catastrophic destruction.  I spent the afternoon of May 20, 2013 glued to the computer in my office, watching in horror as this monster destroyed everything in its path.  Though I now live much further North and East (I moved 4 weeks ago), my husband, parents, family, and friends are all in this area.  I felt so helpless watching this from 200 miles away. 


 

It hit me later on that even though I was so far away, tornados were happening a couple of miles from where I was, too.  Thankfully damage from this one is minimal.


I am an Okie, and such words as "tornado", "vortex", and "super cell" are not new terms to me.  I have survived tornado threats and destruction, and I have seen the aftermath of violent storms.  But destruction on such a massive scale as the tornado that hit Moore, Oklahoma is unlike anything I've ever seen.  There are no words.



My thoughts immediately turned to my brother, who lives in Moore.  Phone lines were jammed, but I was able to text him.  He was a few hours south of here, and his home is okay, certainly windblown, but okay.  My parents, husband, former coworkers, all okay.  Many of my friends have lost all of their belongings.  I must say I am so very thankful my friends and family were not physically harmed in this disaster.  Things can be replaced.  People can't.  I hope to be back there this weekend to do what I can. 

Seeing such a thing as this is enough to cause fear and grief in anyone.  While Oklahomans are certainly grieving, they are known for taking ACTION.  As a child I heard, watched, and lost loved ones in the Murrah bombing on April 19th 1995.  As a teenager I witnessed the incredible power of the May 3rd tornado in 1999.  My entire life has been spent in the Sooner State, and I have seen Oklahomans come together in a way unlike any I've ever heard of.  Within minutes of the tornado on Monday, donation centers and work groups were assembling to help.  By that evening, cars were lined up for miles outside of donation drop off points, waiting 3+ hours to drop off items for others.  The picture below is from a Sam's Club.  The people here are lined up and waiting as long as it takes to buy items for tornado victims.  Deeds such as these come without a second thought to an Okie.  It's who we are.  It's what we do.  I honestly couldn't imagine it happening any other way.  I am so proud to be an Okie, today and everyday.



To date, the most recent Oklahoma tornado that's claimed the most lives occurred May 3, 1999.  With that storm, 36 precious lives were gone forever.  I hope that statistic does not change.  I can only hope that the current death toll of the May 20 tornado does not increase.  While this tragedy has clamed 24 lives thus far, so many beautiful stories of survival, love, and hope have sprung forth.  Teachers who shielded students with their own bodies, then carried the children to safety.  Teachers and students reunited at what was, minutes before, a classroom.  Parents finding chidren and taking them to safety.  These are heroes.  Heroes among us. 


 
 


Animals rescued and returned to owners. 

 
 

This video of a sweet woman finding her dog buried in the rubble on live TV is such a heartwarming story in the middle of a nightmare.

Pictures and keepsakes, blown miles away from their original homes, are being kept safe as their original owners are tracked down.  Free eye exams, food, shelter, clothing, transportation, etc. are all offered.  I don't worry about Oklahoma.  Folk here come from strong stock, and know how to help each other. 

Okies will rebuild.  They will survive.  They will come back stronger than ever.  Along the way, they will give their time, lend a hand, or a shoulder to cry on, to anyone and everyone who needs it.  When I go back to my house this weekend, I will hug my husband and my cat tightly and thank God I was blessed to be from a place where people really love one another.  Oklahoma, you make me proud.  Thank you for letting me be one of yours.



(I do not pretend to have a way with words, so if you would like to read something wonderful about my humble but great state, please go here.  There was another blog post I read that was so very touching, but of course, I can't find it now.  If I do, I'll post it.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Resolution I'm Sticking To

So of course, I've managed to let a few months slip by without posting anything.  Honestly, there hasn't been a whole lot to post!  It's been a tough winter here in OK, with unusually cold bitter winds and quite a bit of snow compared to last year.  I don't mean to complain, but I will be pretty excited when spring has officially sprung!  This past weekend was daylight savings time, and while I really enjoy the extra light at the end of the day, I just hate giving up the extra 60 minutes of sleep!  I know it's only an hour, but I am dragging this morning for sure! One of my New Year's resolutions (the only one, honestly) was to complete a 5K every month.  I've been trying to attack this resolution head on.  In January I finished my first ever official timed 5K, the  Freeze Your Face-Off 5K  in downtown Oklahoma City.  It was such a great experience, and I got to meet up with a couple of high school friends I hadn't seen in over a decade!  Pretty cool.

Reasons/Excuses - And The Difference Is....?

I do have reasons why I haven't posted my blanket yet.  Or maybe it's excuses.  Hmmmm.... #1:  It's not finished yet.   I know!  Ridiculous, right?  Two rows stand between me and a HUGE finished colorful piece of happylove.  And I keep putting it off.  I'm not even going to say "this week for sure" or even a "maybe I'll finish it tonight".  Because as you can read, I say these things, and many times don't back them up.  I'm starting to wonder if I've got adult ADD or ADHD or whatever it is that doesn't allow for people to finish what they start.  Yep.  Anyway, it's not done yet.  It will be.  Eventually. #2:  I've been making other things! See?  That's a pretty good reason/excuse, right?  I've been a-hookin' away.  With Mother's Day rapidly approaching, I found myself freaking out, thinking about what I could create for my mom that would be something spring-y, colorful (she loves bright, cheery colors

Musing.

I used to have this idea that I was going to create these elaborate and thought provoking posts. That I would inspire someone. That I would have followers. Really. Kind of silly now that I look back on it. Anymore, I just want to be a better person than I was the day before. I want to love people better. I've recently seen a lot of things in the local, national, and world news that aren't pleasant. My first reaction is to get enraged and/or feel hopeless. But time again, I keep coming back to a wise man's words: In a world where people react negatively more than they tend to think, I'll always be thankful for Dr. King's reminder that it's okay to reach out in love.