Skip to main content

Hazel Agnes

Is it weird that my first real post is dedicated to a furry feline friend of mine?
I hope so.  Because weird is simply what I end up being, no matter how much I fight it.
This is Hazy.  She’s a rescue cat.  We got her because my husband simply refused to have a cat, claiming he was allergic, and there was NO WAY that we could have an indoor pet.  After a lot of persuading and pleading, he agreed to be a foster parent with me for the Humane Society.  Essentially, we would foster an animal for two weeks during a quarantine period, then the pet would be able to live in the Humane Society adoption center.

Well….

Hazy was the first pet we fostered.  The husband simply couldn’t give her up.  Can you blame him?
The day that we were scheduled to bring her into the center, my husband reached over to the chair where Hazy was laying, and said softly “maybe we could keep this one.”  And that was it.  Hazy has become a true member of the family, and now we can’t imagine our lives without her.  Amazingly enough, husband is mysteriously not allergic to her.  I know her breed tends to be a little more hypoallergenic than most, but I find it fascinating that he shows ZERO allergic reaction to her.

Allergies my foot.  J
 Hazy is a Russian Blue mix breed, and boy, does her personality ever show it!  She loves to rule the roost, and has such a diva personality.  And boy, is she smart!  She enjoys playing tag, fetch, and most of all, training US to act on her every whim.

When I took up crocheting again, I forgot how much cats like yarn, string, thread, ANYTHING snake-y.  Whoa boy.  I make sure to keep all my crochet projects in a separate place, lest I come home to everything unraveled.   She’s a little stinker.
A little stinker who loves to test out my creations. 

I can honestly say that she is the most appreciative person (a cat is a person, right?) of my crochet outcomes.  She loves laying on my scarves, blankets, purses, hats, bracelets… you name it.  Most nights I curl up with one of my favorite blankets (which is sadly STILL a work in progress), only to find that I must immediately share with Hazy.  I tried to make her her very own cat sized blanket, and sometimes it works.

But in the end, she's a lover.  She needs to be napping with someone.

She would stay on my blankets all day if I didn’t fold them and put them away every morning.

The little gray beast.  It's funny; we think we're the ones that rescued her.  It's quite the opposite.

Thanks for being my fur-daughter and number one fan of my work, Haze!  You are quite the companion, and I hope we can enjoy many, many more naps cuddled up in our blankets.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Resolution I'm Sticking To

So of course, I've managed to let a few months slip by without posting anything.  Honestly, there hasn't been a whole lot to post!  It's been a tough winter here in OK, with unusually cold bitter winds and quite a bit of snow compared to last year.  I don't mean to complain, but I will be pretty excited when spring has officially sprung!  This past weekend was daylight savings time, and while I really enjoy the extra light at the end of the day, I just hate giving up the extra 60 minutes of sleep!  I know it's only an hour, but I am dragging this morning for sure! One of my New Year's resolutions (the only one, honestly) was to complete a 5K every month.  I've been trying to attack this resolution head on.  In January I finished my first ever official timed 5K, the  Freeze Your Face-Off 5K  in downtown Oklahoma City.  It was such a great experience, and I got to meet up with a couple of high school friends I hadn't seen in over a decade!  Pretty cool.

Reasons/Excuses - And The Difference Is....?

I do have reasons why I haven't posted my blanket yet.  Or maybe it's excuses.  Hmmmm.... #1:  It's not finished yet.   I know!  Ridiculous, right?  Two rows stand between me and a HUGE finished colorful piece of happylove.  And I keep putting it off.  I'm not even going to say "this week for sure" or even a "maybe I'll finish it tonight".  Because as you can read, I say these things, and many times don't back them up.  I'm starting to wonder if I've got adult ADD or ADHD or whatever it is that doesn't allow for people to finish what they start.  Yep.  Anyway, it's not done yet.  It will be.  Eventually. #2:  I've been making other things! See?  That's a pretty good reason/excuse, right?  I've been a-hookin' away.  With Mother's Day rapidly approaching, I found myself freaking out, thinking about what I could create for my mom that would be something spring-y, colorful (she loves bright, cheery colors

Musing.

I used to have this idea that I was going to create these elaborate and thought provoking posts. That I would inspire someone. That I would have followers. Really. Kind of silly now that I look back on it. Anymore, I just want to be a better person than I was the day before. I want to love people better. I've recently seen a lot of things in the local, national, and world news that aren't pleasant. My first reaction is to get enraged and/or feel hopeless. But time again, I keep coming back to a wise man's words: In a world where people react negatively more than they tend to think, I'll always be thankful for Dr. King's reminder that it's okay to reach out in love.